Answering a few student questions about Mary Queen of Scots:
- When it was clear that Mary was raped, why didn’t anyone do anything?
- How did they deal with the crime of rape in the early modern period?
- How is it that Mary went from seemingly “in control” in France to seemingly allowing everyone to act around her in Scotland? Were the courts that different?
- How is it that these men could just imprison the queen?
- Did Bothwell become king or was it like the situation with Darnley, where he was consort?
- If Mary hadn’t married Bothwell, what would have happened? Could she have not sought help from any loyal subjects?
- Did Bothwell keep Mary prisoner for a long time – how long before she became pregnant?