The controversy that has surrounded this blog for the past week has been exceptional, but the most fantastic aspect of the controversy has been the dialogue that has opened up regarding this issue. The problem of rape culture on campuses has come into view and people on forums as diverse as the Ontarion to PennyArcade.com have all chimed in.
- My blog had been viewed almost 5000 times by places as far away as Lithuania, and reposted on everything from Pinterest and Facebook to Penny Arcade.com;
- The discussion on the original Facebook page exploded and was eventually removed altogether:
- The president’s office drafted a response, now available here;
- The Central Student’s Association of the University of Guelph had an emergency meeting to draft a response to this situation, which they are currently enacting;
- (I’ve been told that) banners have been hung in the Student Centre against rape jokes;
- A letter writing campaign to The Ontarion had been launched regarding this issue;
- The posting had spawned a discussion board on Penny Arcade.com, available here;
- I have been interviewed by CFRU, the local campus radio station, bringing attention to the issue, available here (Starting 26.20).